Saturday, August 26, 2006

Another Mind Virus

My knowledge of boxing is zero, perhaps negative, but I found myself sucked in by this gripping account of the career of Sonny Liston, from Nick Tosches, via Grumpy Old Bookman. Somewhat defensively, GOB asks "Sonny who?" but that is because he is writing in Britain. Americans, I suspect, even doofuses like myself, remember Liston, but I doubt if even good boxing fans knew some of the stuff that Tosches seems to have brought together.

I also liked (from the comments):

I once saw [Ingemar Johansson] in his old age, handing out free tastes of prefab meatballs in a grocery store in Stockholm.

If you still have unexhausted brain cells, pop over to Ancecdotal Evidence and read this fine account of D'Arcy Thompson's classic, On Growth and Form (1917). My friend Steve tells me that computer-assisted design has made Thompson's lessons practically irrelevant, but the book is a wonder nonetheless.

No comments: