Monday, August 21, 2006

From the Bin: I Knew There was Something

A couple of weeks ago I was nattering on about the dispensability of men. Perhaps I overdid it:

“It was then,” Amalia went on, “that La Lucienne began to make trouble. She began to adopt all the mean ways of love: there were affairs broken off without reason, there were reconciliations, but conditional, and separations, and unnecessary flights, tearful scenes, and I don’t know what all…An obsession…Loulou, a pretty young blonde, she had with her, well, she threw her out one night half naked into the garden to teach her a lesson and make her decide what she wanted, that is to choose between her, Lucienne, and Loulou’s husband. Before dawn, Lucienne leaned over the balcony. ¨’Have you thought it over?’ she says. ‘Yes,’ says the girl, who was sniffing with the cold. ‘Well?’ says Lucienne. ‘Well,’ says the girl, ‘I’m going back to Hector. I’ve just realized he can do something you can’t. ‘Oh, naturally!’ says Lucienne, spitefully. ‘No,’ says Loulou, ‘it’s not what you think. I’m not all that crazy about you know what. But I’m going to tell you something. When you and I go out together everyone takes you for a man, that’s understood. But for my part, I feel humiliated to be with a man who can’t do pipi against a wall.’”

Colette, The Pure and the Impure.

Fn: I see my Google ad supra is from www.catchhimandkeephim.com.


No comments: