Wednesday, August 23, 2006

The Natives are Restless

Carpetbagger is having a merry old time with our President’s newly-disclosed passion for reading. Commentators are quick to leap on the obvious (blah blah classic comics blah blah My Pet Goat blah blah). But nobody so far seems to have hit upon a more insidious possibility. Could it be that the White House staff is abandoning ship and that this is a piece of not-so-subtle mockery? On the order of Freud saying "I can recommend the Gestapo to anybody"--?

Fn: Let me add that it didn’t strike me as particularly odd when it was disclosed last week that he was reading Camus’ Stranger. Recall that this is the book they give you in French class to start you off on the genuine article. Lots of simple words.

Afterthought: I gave my young friend Daniel a copy of "Animal Farm" for his Bar Mitzvah. "He liked it," his father told me. "He thought it was about pigs."

No comments: