Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Looking for a Poem (Updated: Found It!)

For reasons that will be clear in a moment, I had hoped to post this poem back on Easter Monday. Trouble is, I can't remember it, and can't find it. I heard it, or perhaps read it, back int he 50s. My recollection is that it was billed as a translation from the Welsh--though I must say, it sounds a lot more like an homage. I believe the translator was Dudley Fitts. Anybody recognize it? The only fragments I can bring up are:
I have loved loving you oh my linnet, oh my dove....
and

March, begone, April, haste!
Til Easter Monday all are chaste!

Anybody recognize this one?

Update: Found it! Michael Gilleland, proprietor of this fine blog, responds in an instant:

According to Google Book Search, it appears in Rolfe Humphries, Collected Poems (Indiana University Press, 1965), pp. 247-248. Google Book Search only gives a "snippet view", so you can't see the entire poem online.

Rolfe Humphries, Dudley Fitts, looks like I mixed up m translators-with-quaint-names. A thousand thanks to Michael, and I'm off to the library.

Update update: Patrick Kurp crossed the tape just moments later. Thanks to Patrick, whose own blog alsos remains on my a-list.

No comments: