Saturday, April 07, 2007

Takes All Kinds

I hauled my laptop down to the world's best coffee shop this afternoon, forgetting that Saturday is folkie time. Lots of mandolins, banjos (mostly four-string) a couple of accordians, etc. Simple stuff like "Michael, Row the Boat Ashore." Really sweet and it reminds me of my folkie past (in a previous incarnation)--indeed, a good many of these people are old enough that they might have been there with me.

But not conducive to productivity, so I relocated to the patio. Good move: the weather couldn't have been better, and the music was just far away enough to reduce it to a low mellow hum.

The Kid who Serves the Coffee seemed to be spending a lot of time on the patio, clearing dishes, wiping tables, maybe twiddling her thumbs.

"Getting away from the music?"

She tossed her head.

"When I get home," she said, "I'm going to put on my earphones and play the loudest heavy metal I can find."

Takes all kinds.

No comments: