Tuesday, April 24, 2007

The VA Emblems of Belief List

I was at my brother-in-law's funeral in a cemetery in the East Bay about 15 years ago when I found myself standing on a memorial stone bearing an Oakland Raiders' symbol. I'm sure it wasn't the first or the last, but apparently it has not yet made the list. Sadly, it is not among the "Available Emblems of Belief for Placement on Government Headstones and Markers," as promulgated by the Department of Veterans' Affairs. There are 98 in all. Interesting that the Christian Science Symbol and the Muslim five-pointed star are not shown, because under coypright. The VA says:

No graphics (logos, symbols, etc.) are permitted on Government-furnished headstones or markers other than the approved emblems of belief, the Civil War Union Shield, the Civil War Confederate Southern Cross of Honor, and the Medal of Honor insignias.

Confederate Southern Cross; nice to know that insurgents get representation. H/T BoinBoing.

No comments: