Sunday, May 13, 2007

I Should Have Guessed
(Last King of Scotland Dept.)

[Caution, plot spoiler ahead, sort of, but not much.]

I admit, it is not as if anybody held a gun to my head. It was I who fired up the DVD of Last King of Scotland (link) (even though I don't watch a lot of movies), because I had heard Forrest Whitaker on somebody's talk show (Terri Gross?) and had heard so many good things about his performance as Idi Amin.

Well, in fact he is pretty good at fixing that combination of seductiveness and terror that you would expect from a mid-level Mafioso, or a tinhorn dictator (his accent is pretty bogus, though--LA comes twanging through).

But you'd think I would have guessed that at the end of the day it is just one more story about a white guy in the jungle, with the obligatory dose of thinking man's torture, and a sorta kinda wanna happy ending.

But the real ur-story--the one about Bob Astles (link, link, link)--is worth a side-trip.

And some nice shots of the jungle.

No comments: