Thursday, June 21, 2007

Cockroaches

Seems that all the disruption at Chez Buce lately has stimulated the coackroaches, so we had to call for the pest guy. I put in a phone order about 4 pm; the pest guy showed up for a look-see by 430 pm. Personable guy, easy to talk to. Lucky for us, it turns out we have only the little sissy cockroaches, not the big guys with the leather jackets and beards and 17-inch necks. So, an easy job.

The pest guy came back this morning to spray around the house. He cautioned us to close all the windows but I saw him working out there without a mask.

We paid him (credit card) and he's gone. But I'm wondering. That's $150 for the job. Two trips, with a promise of a repeat if they come back. Somedbody has to maintain that special purpose vehicle, and pay the scheduler who answers the phone. And the guys with the national trademark--I am sure they get a large chunk of the gross. My guess is that it is a lot like the taxi business, where you rent the car by the day, and work x hours for the suits before you start paying yourself. Wonder how much trickles down to him? Not a lot, I suspect.

Oh, and did I mention that he smoked?

Fn.: Right, "special purpose vehicle." And here I thought that was a kind of accounting fraud.

No comments: