Thursday, June 14, 2007

For the Golden Years: Antioch Acres

More on the closing of Antioch College, my sorta alma mater, this from Underbelly’s Dayton bureau:

If you ever find yourself in the area, Yellow Springs, which is the town containing Antioch, can still be like stepping into a time wrap, with a Birkenstock store, several tie-died T-shirt vendors, street musicians and frequent street festivals where the air is filled with various scents of incense and other sweet fragrances. Antoich, however, has long lost its luster and, absent phoenix properties, does not seem destined to rise again.

I was in Yellow Springs a couple of years back, first time since, oh, I think 1969. It was indeed a time warp, and I loved it: made me feel like I was 18 again, and what’s not to like about that?

All of which dovetails with another question that’s been biting at me. As a sometimes Chapter 11 bankruptcy lawyer, I have to ask: what next for the physical plant? What to do with the towers, the dorms, and the other splendid old facilities that still—if you can ignore the deferred maintenance—make it look like the kind of college Ronald Coleman would be president of (link)?

I have a suggestion: retirement community. The survivors of the Antioch golden age are (I am one) deep into Medicare by now. A lot of them are former academics, with a few bucks tucked away in their TIAA-Cref accounts, solvent but hardly opulent (indeed, I suspect some of them are already there: behind that beard and the comfortable paunch under the tie-dye tee shirt, I think I recognize the guy who sat across from me in a chem lab a half century ago). Anyway, a lot of them live in expensive places and might profit from a chance to move back to a place where living is cheaper and the home nursing care is probably pretty good.

They could have concerts and book groups, picking up where they left off half a century ago. And they could talk. Oh, my, could they talk—the Suez crisis, the Army-McCarthy hearings, the Ohio State Un-American Activities Committee, the Hiss-Chambers encounter, Eisenhower’s golf score, the Sam Sheppard trial, all the stuff that animated them the first time around. The mere flow of verbiage ought to be able to keep the Dayton Power & Light Company in surplus for the rest of the summer.

Didn’t I read somewhere that a great augury for romance is to rediscover the lost love of your teen-aged years? They’d have to install elevators and guard rails, but there would be no end of opportunities to rekindle an old flame (properly tucked into a wicker chianti bottle, no doubt). Hey, I get a chance to make my moves on Mabel Feepwiler again.

You say I did, and she turned me down? Hm. Maybe she will have forgotten. Yo, Mabel! Good to see you again! Uh, Mabel…? Mable? Yo Mabel, it’s me, Buce!

4 comments:

The New York Crank said...

Fageddiboudid!

If, as I do, you check the obits in the Yellow Springs News online every week,
http://www.ysnews.com
you will begin noticing an entirely disproportionate incidence of people dying before 70, and frighteningly often, before 60.

I don't know whether it's something in the Yellow Springs Water supply or simply the state of medical care there, but don't count on you and Mabel lasting long in Paradise Regained.

I prefer my own solution which, as you know Buce, I proposed even before the news of failure broke officially:

Turn the existing towers and dormitories into condos and subdivide the rest of the campus into quarter acre building lots. (Another disproportionate number of articles in the local weekly has to do with the lack of "affordable" housing.)

Turn the profits from the land sale back to: the students who've been screwed out of respectable degrees, tenured faculty left without an institution to have tenure at, and alumni and other contributors who had a right to expect better use and planning for their money.

Speaking of which, well over a year ago some agent of the college sent us alums an offer for an alumni guide on disk and paper, for which I coughed up something like seventy bucks.

After many months produced nada, I wrote to the alumni office and asked, Nu, where's the directory?

They did a sorry sorry sorry number and even published a letter to all of us saying it was late but coming "soon."

Screwed again!

Yours very crankily,
The New York Crank

Andy Hicks, CA said...

Buce, your suggestions are heart felt and as an ex-Antioch attendee (I left at the end of summer 1968), I would love to spend my sunset years in a home for aging lefties, discussing the nuances of the JFK assassination, where Jimmy Hoffa is buried, and why Abbie Hoffman turned himself in. My education at Antioch was as a result of being thrown into the mix of middle class revolutionaries, being arrested in Chicago during the Democratic Convention, going to live in New York City in the dead of a freezing winter, and me a kid without a winter coat from California. Living at the dorm was an education in itself; the sounds of the LSD party next door with the Beatles record playing over and over, and on the otherside the hash party. My roomate, a orphan Puerto Rican from New York, had his brother come live with us and he quickly started making a living dealing weed. This was an education in a crude sort of way. I hope our old age home isn't run the same way. "New York Crank" has some gripes and I have to say he does make a point about the disfunctionality of the Antioch administration, but heh, liberals never were much for accounting and paperwork.

Andy H said...

Question: Why is it that the time of the comments is posted but not the date? I could care less about the time, but the date would be helpful.

Buce said...

Andy, I haven't the foggiest. Never noticed. I'll go look at the formatting page and see if there is a way to change it.