Thursday, June 14, 2007

Something to Cleanse the Palate

After that last post about Auschwitz, here’s a little something to cleanse the palate:

I would not change the beginning for anything. I had an electric car, a starched white nanny, a pony, a bed modeled after that of Napoleon’s son, and I was baptized by the Archbishop of the diocese. I wore hats and sucked on a little pipe. I was the darling of the ranch, pleasing everyone. One day I was sunning myself in the patio, lying out on the yellow and blue tiles, contemplating the geraniums and sniffing the hot, clean air. A bee came up and stung me on my bare fanny. The response to my screams was wonderful, Servants everywhere, my mother giving orders. Don Enrique applied an old Indian remedy and my father took me down to the beach house to let the salt water do its work. Oh what a world it was! Was there ever so pampered an ass as mine?

--Darcy O’Brien, A Way of Life, Like Any Other 1 (2001) (link)

Was there ever so elegant a first paragraph to a novel?

No comments: