Monday, June 25, 2007

Spiff

The college kid was cleaning the hallway at Chez Buce this morning when the vacuum began to puff black smoke. Mrs. Buce hied herself off to Sears for a conversation with the appliance salesman.

--Oh, look at this one, I have one at home, it’s wonderful.

--Um hm. Show me how you change the belt.

--Oh, it’s easy. I have one at home.

--So show me.

--Clyde? Do you know how to open this vacuum cleaner?

--Hm. Well, it’s stuck, but as soon as we find the instruction manual, I can show you how it is done. Did I tell you I have one at home?

From an 1859 dictionary (link):

Spiff "The percentage allowed by drapers to their young men when they effect sale of old fashioned or undesirable stock."

I bet the reason this kid had one at home is that the boss laid it on him at a discount to get it off the floor.

No comments: