Friday, August 24, 2007

The Lazy, Loitering Rogue
And the Last Voyage Home

My friend Joel believes he has identified an important fundamental principle of law.

In another context (don’t ask), Joel was pointing out that expenses of funeral and burial typically get first priority in probate. Want to get those bodies under the ground.

I responded by pointing out that admiralty law has a principle of last-in-time, first-in-right. Apparently we want to equip ship chandlers to supply the last voyage home.

Exactly, said Joel. The last voyage home.

Now this:

`Upon further consideration,' said he, `I thought I might say to him, "Good Charon, I have been correcting my works for a new edition. Allow me a little time that I may see how the public receives the alterations." But Charon would answer, "When you have seen the effect of these, you will be for making other alterations. There will be no end of such excuses; so, honest friend, please step into the boat."' But Mr. Hume said, `I might still urge, "Have a little patience, good Charon, I have been endeavouring to open the eyes of the public. If I live a few days longer, I may have the satisfaction of seeing the downfall of some of the prevailing systems of superstition:" But Charon would then lose his temper and decency.—"You loitering rogue, that will not happen these many hundred years. Do you fancy I will grant you a lease for so long a term? Get into the boat this instant, you lazy loitering rogue!"'

--The last hours of David Hume, as recorded by
William Smellie, Literary and Characteristical Lives (1800), pp. 166-9

At least Charon can count on a first priority claim.

No comments: