Sunday, September 16, 2007

Summers/Chemerinsky

It's not really the brief of this blog to get into farragos (farraghi?) like the Summers/Chemerinsky mess at the University of California (link, link) But here's an item that I haven't seen reported elsewhere: apparently one reason the women of UCD got all in a twist about a Summers invitation is that they fear he was being sized up as a potential UC President.

Understand, I have no real evidence that he was in fact being so wooed--but I know there was such a rumor. For my money, I've got all kinds of admiration for Larry Summers, but I think his talents don't lend themselves to a University presidency, period. And in any event, I must say I think the University's handling of the whole business is beyond ham-handed. It's as if they listened to the best PR advice and undertook to do the exact opposite.

No comments: