Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Income/Education/Employment:
Another "Somethiing I Don't Understand"

I suppose this one is tricky, but it still doesn't sound right. This morning's San Francisco Chronicle (scrounged in the coffee shop) reports that more than 70,000 children are growing up in gay and lesbian households in California. No surprise so far, but I am intrigued by the particulars for the SFO Bay Area:
Parent's Education--59.1% College
Median Household Income--$83,060
But then:
Parent's employment--22.6 % unemployed
Whoa--60 percent college, $83 thou income, and 22.6 percent unemployed? There is something about this world I don't understand.

[Yes, I know, these are medians, not means, and medians can be tricky. Example: suppose there are 100 people. Two have incomes of $83 thou. Forty-nine have incomes of a zillion each and 49 have incomes of zero. The median is $83 thou. Now, suppose all 49 of the zeros get jobs paying $82 thou a year. The median is still $83 thou (I have seen this as the "Bill Gates walks into the room" principle and I guess I follow). But it still doesn't sound right.]

Afterthought: You say it is available on line? Yes, probably so, am just too lazy to look.

1 comment:

britney1940 said...

This is an interesting article with lot of valuable information.
================
Britney
house for sale by owner