Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Riderhood Gives Evidence

Riderhood says that Gaffer Hexam killed the man he found in the river.

“Tell us on what grounds you make this accusation,” said Mortimer Lightwood.

“On the grounds,” answered Riderhood, wiping his face with his sleeve, “that I was Gaffer’s pardner, and suspected of him many a long day and many a dark night. On the grounds that I knowed his ways. On the grounds that I broke the pardnership because I see the danger; which I warn you his daughter may tell you another story about that, for anythink I can say, but you know what it’ll be worth, for she’d tell lies, the world round and heavens broad, to save her father. On the grounds that it’s well understood along the cause’ays and the stairs that he done it. On the grounds that he’s fell off from, because he done it. On the grounds that I will swear he done it. On the grounds that you may take me where you will, and get me sworn to it. I don’t want to back out of the consequences. I have made up my mind. Take me anywheres.”

“All this is nothing,” said Lightwood.

“Nothing?” repeated Riderhood, indignantly and amazedly.

--Charles Dickens, Our Mutual Friend 146 (Modern Library Paperback, 2002)

No comments: