Wednesday, December 12, 2007

First Memories

Avram Grumer is playing the first-memories game (link). Happy to join in. I remember Pearl Harbor; Beryl Kilton explained it all to me in the car on the way to kindergarten the next morning. I remember watching my mother knead bread dough and thinking: this year I am three. Last year I was two, and I don't remember anything from last year. So I think I'll remember this.

But I do remember something from when I was two. I remember the hurricane of '38, and how my dad and Wilbur Matchett and I went out to look at the stump of the apple tree that had blown down. And how we ate scrambled eggs.

And I remember a wild night of carousing with Mable Figworthy while her parents were at the annual Louis Kussoth Memorial Ball. And the night Adlai Stevenson was elected president. And the time I shot an elephant in my pyjamas.

Oh, I guess that didn't happen either.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Buce:

This is Beryl (nee) Kilton. I'm trying to remember our conversation, but it was a few years back. Give me some clues to your identity.

Buce said...

Ha! You've forgotten so soon!
I am still coy, but send an email to this guy: he will out me--

majnails@aol.com

Meanwhile, search this blog for "New Hampshire" and you might find more stuff that will amuse.