Thursday, January 31, 2008

Outsourced: On Obama, Huckabee, etc.

The Wichita bureau does my thinking for me this morning:

Obama remains too green. Dowd makes the point that he really didn’t see the Clinton high-low block coming. He’s too thin skinned. If we need an official visionary, he’s our guy. If we need a tough decision maker with the right connections, it’s Hillary. She brings her own biases and pent up grudges but she ain’t thin skinned. Brittle perhaps.

And if Bill doesn’t really love her, he sure can fake the anger. Pick on my wife, you $%&!. Where’s my horsewhip. Or better still, cane him on the street. (Old Washington custom, caning.)

Yes, that gets it nicely. A defining moment for me was when he snubbed Hillary at the State of the Union. What do you think this is buddy, a junior prom? You'll need to deal with that woman when she is majority leader in the Senate.

Wichita also weighs in on my current fascination, the Huckster:

I think that McCain would make a serious if not fatal error in picking Huckabee as VP. I might be able to vote for McCain if the spare were acceptable; Huckabee is not. He represents a minority in the Republican party and the machine in Washington would eat him. Or simply let him loose on some of his silly issues (evolution, the poor) and make the decisions some where else. He alone of the field does not seem to have the connections to put together a team of experts to run the government.

Well put again. I guess what continues to fascinate me about Huckabee is that genuine likeability, coupled with gobsmacking ignorance. He charms the birds off a tree and the next time you look, he's talking about adding lanes to I-95. Ironic that it leaves me rooting for the one Republican for whom I have the most personal contempt--the one whose hair doesn't move in a high wind, but who has sufficient lack of prnciple that he might actually run a half-way decent government.

No comments: