Thursday, February 14, 2008

Alito, McCain and Alito's Neighbor, and the Rest of the Lot

Above the Law has come up with a reason why John McCain is cool towards Justice Alito: Alito doesn't like The Sopranos, the TV show about Alito's neighbor, Tony Soprano (link).

Raises the question of what kind of shows McCain does like--probably tells you a lot about the man. Much has been made, for example, of Nixon's taste for Patton. I can't remember anything at the moment about the tastes of the incumbent, except that I do recall he enjoyed watching replays of "Baghdad Bob," the insanely optimistic press flac for Saddam Hussein, who kept shouting "we will bury you!" as the pillars crumbled around him. (link) And Ronald Reagan was, as they say, the president who thought World War II was a movie.

I'm probably not hip enough on TV or movies to do justice to this inquiry. I assume McCain would enjoy Top Gun; he might not be crazy about Grumpy Old Men; I wonder what he thinks of Officer and a Gentleman? As to the others--it's a little hard to picture Hillary enjoying any TV show (except, now that I think of it, maybe Frontline or the News Hour with Jim Lehrer?). I'm hazy on Barack at the moment also, but this bit from Tom McMahon may stimulate some suggestions (link):

No comments: