Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Oh, That Guy!

I first ran across Will Eisner in a bookstore in Greenwich Village a couple of years ago, and it was love at first sight. I've long been fascinated by mid-20th Century "history" (if you can call it that), and here is Eisner (link) laying out a vision that is as compelling as, say, the short stories of Bernard Malamud, or Shadow on the Hudson by Isaac Bashevis Singer. How come I'd never heard of this guy before?

Turns out I had. At Fort Leonard Wood, MO, in 1958. My, those were the days...

[For clarification--no, I was never a mechanic. If anyone ever handed me a wrench, you'd be reading about it in the agony section of your local newspaper under "mayhem." But I had a lot of time to kill around the headquarters of the infantry battalion where I beguiled away the hours as an underemployed and desperately bored clerk.]

No comments: