Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Price Discrimination in Russia, etc.

Carpe Diem has a cute picture up suggesting that you can get into one of Russia's most popular tourist sites more cheaply if you can read Russian (link). But this is actually pretty familiar stuff, not so? I remember trying to buy stuff in Russian shops in the 90s (I don't speak more than 10 sentences of Russian, but I can dope out the alphabet). As long as I stayed silent and pointed, I got Russian prices; once I opened my mouth--even if to say "spaseba"--the price went up. And I remember watching a guest at an upscale hotel in Goa raising holy hell with the desk clerk because he, as an Overseas Indian, was not getting the Indian price.

And come to think of it, haven't we been told that the Chinese side of the restaurant menu is always cheaper? Not that I would have any idea about that one...

No comments: