Tuesday, May 06, 2008

More Meta: Eee PC

I haven't been posting much lately, for three reasons, all travel-related. One, I've had other stuff on my mind, and haven't been able to give it as much thought as I do at home. Two, Mrs. B might strangle me if I spent all my down time on the road at the laptop--and she would be quite right to do so.

And three--I've been traveling with my new toy, the 8G Eee PC on which I took delivery just last week. I'm still getting acquainted with it. On the whole, it's a keeper but I have to admit that there are some frustrations. Perhaps the main one is the keyboard: it is tiny (and my hands, though not tiny, are hardly huge). Moreover, it feels a bit like a kiddie toy piano. And still moreover, a couple of keys seem to be in unexpected places.

This is not really a complaint: I tend to be a pretty fast learner at this sort of thing, and I expect I will get my mind around it. But I'm used to typing faster than I can talk (which is not slow) and right now, I am at the point of making 2-3-4 corrections in every sentence (I think I made about 10 in this one).

I've spent most of the past hour answering student emails on this baby, so I suppose things will move slowly along. But I guess for the moment, I am at least protected against idle chatter.

No comments: