Tuesday, June 24, 2008

McCain and Obama on the Battery:
Can't Anybody Play This Game?

I know not what others may think (I haven't been checking, really) but I still think that McCain's $300 million battery is the dumbest public policy idea since, oh maybe since this. Or at least the dumbest idea from a Republican. Jimeny Christmas, hasn't this guy ever heard of the Patent Office? What did he think Our Boys have been Fighting For in all these wars? Or restated: if ever there was an enterprise that can safely be left to the market, I should think it would be this one.

But if McCain breaks the tape, I'd say that Obama crosses the line just a little later. Does he use this as an occasion to mock and deride the old codger, to suggest how totally clueless the aspirant Leader of the Free World really is? Hah. No, Obama thinks this is a grand time to drop hints about the need for a massive public program:
...I don’t think a $300 million prize is enough. When John F. Kennedy decided that we were going to put a man on the moon, he didn’t put a bounty out for some rocket scientist to win – he put the full resources of the United States government behind the project and called on the ingenuity and innovation of the American people. That’s the kind of effort we need to achieve energy independence in this country ...
Link (emphasis added). Oh Jesus, Mary and Joseph. We do not need to put the full resouces of the United States behind this program. We do not need to march forward to 1955.

We do need to do stuff. For example, I take it for granted that the oil companies have done everything they know how to thwart and deflect any entrepreneurial innovation that might have done anything to disturb their comfortable market niche. We do need the resources of government to help level the playing field. And we do need the government to stop being a collaborator-enabler with this kind of retrograde rent-grabbing. But aside from that, the best thing government can do is get out of the way.

All the smart money tells us that Obama is the greatest rhetorician since JFK. This would have been a fine time for him to deploy some of that skill to so the world just how bankrupt and incoherent McCain's portfolio really is. Instead, we get the economic equivalent of My Pet Goat.

Afterthought:
I see I'm suffering from an italics imbalance today. But thanks, I'll be okay once I get my meds adjusted.

No comments: