Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Pig-time Operator

My friend Margaret just sent me a picture of a kid kissing a pig. Made me remember one of my first adult jobs: I was a photographer for the daily newspaper in Washington Courthouse, Ohio. One of my duties--it may have been my most important duty--was to take the picture of the prize pig at the County Fair 4-H auction.

The only good angle for the picture was from inside the auction ring. Now, pigs may be ill-informed, but they are not dumb; when the prize pig came into the ring, he knew that something was going to happen that he wasn't going to like. Also, pigs are not Christian, or at any rate, they do not have the spirit of Christian charity. So when they are in a bad mood, they go looking for somebody to hurt.

So there was I, with a 4"x5" speed graphic in hand, trying to change flashbulbs while hopping backwards around a show ring, inches away from an angry porker.

Pretty good training for being a law professor, though.

Oh, and Margaret's picture--cute pig.


Update: Hoo ha! I just checked the website at the paper. Looks like life back there may not have changed all that much (link).

No comments: