Friday, August 29, 2008

Re Palin, I Go Out on a Limb

I've been wrong so many times before, I might as well stick my neck out again: Sarah Palin won't be on the ticket on election day. People are talking Geraldine Ferraro but I'm thinking Thomas Eagleton--unvetted, thoughtlessly selected, a decisive source of regret and remorse. Or maybe I am talking about Geraldine Ferraro--a choice who never looked better than during the first 72 hours after her selection. I'm tempted to think about Harriet Miers, but this choice is perhaps least apt: Miers was brought down ultimately by the wingnuts for her tepid record on the hot-button evangelical issues. For Palin, the evangelicals are the one thing that may save her.

I don't want to suggest I am delighted with all this. If the Republicans do have to make a second choice in late September, the chances are they'll do something even more impulsive and reckless. "Get to know this woman and give her a chance," Alex Castellanos is saying. My guess is that is exactly what he is hoping we do not get a chance to do.

Afterthought: If I'm wrong (as I probably will be), then I'll say she's Ronald Reagan, and that some hacker wrote this post.

Update: This guy thinks they planned it that way all along. "Anon" in the comments here seems to think so too.

Update II: Or maybe just a hoax.

1 comment:

Toni said...

Good call. My politician husband went straight to the Eagleton parallel.