Thursday, August 14, 2008

Report from the Cultural Frontier

The other day, not entirely of my own free will, I went to a matinee of the new Batman movie. Somewhat to my surprise, the theatre was not (a) empty, nor (b) populated by poor old lost souls like myself. No: there was an impressive array of teens-and-twenties, amply stocked with popcorn and soda. I didn't ask, but I sensed that they had been there before. How else to account for that $63 million first day gross?

Anyway, later that same day, quite by accident I found myself watching a few minutes of As the Wrench Turns, the new PBS cartoon about the car guys, Click 'n' Clack (link).

I guess I'm a hard guy to satisfy. I found the Batman movie pretty much of a yawner; as a diversion I found myself counting explosions, and remembering how much I liked the 1940s comic book version (at least I think I did). But the car guys cartoon--my gawd, it is just breathtakingly, jaw-droppingly gobsmackingly, smug-and-self-satisfied, fingernails-on-the-the-blackboard awful.

Like I say, I suppose I am a hard guy to satisfy, but press the analysis a bit further. Of these two shows, which one has the audience as tiny as Thumbelina's thumb? And which one the size of the moon? And in which audience will you find the most McCain voters? And which--ah, you get my point. Forget about the polls; forget about the betting markets: if the explosives fan club has its way, then the Obama campaign is just totally screwed. It's an updated version of the old insight, "give us NASCAR and you can have the 92d Street Y." Except at least the 92d Street Y can be fun. The Click 'n' Clack cartoon is just awful.

Afterthought: Hey, I don't hate everything. I watch Scrubs reruns. I think Reno 911 is a stitch. I think Natalie Dessay is a hottie. And this may be the sexiest babe on TV (cotton underwear division).


No comments: