Friday, November 21, 2008

Kinky Sex in Revolutionary New Hampshire

Does anybody out there edit Wiki? I have tried but they bar as an undesirable (can't imagine why; I have never actually done an edit, so they've never had a chance to figure out how undesirable I really am).

Anyway, for reasons neither here nor there, I fired up the Wiki entry on General John Stark, a soldier in the American Revolution who got a walk-on role in the school curriculum back home in Bedford, NH. My mother, who had a weakness for the dramatic, liked to quote what he (is said to have) said at the Battle of Bennington:

They are ours, or this night Molly Stark sleeps a widow!

Somehow, Wiki gives us

They are ours, or this night Molly Stark sleeps with a black widow!

I doubt very much that he ever actually said either of these. But the second doesn't make any sense.

Afterthought: I had forgotten, but I see at Wiki that Stark is also the culprit for "Live free or die," which you see on New Hampshire license plates. Once again, we may have an error in transmission. My friend Rich, who had a lot to do with the bankruptcy of Public Service of New Hampshire, is actually "live for free or die."

No comments: