Thursday, November 20, 2008

A Meta Puzzle

Here's a Meta Puzzle: from time to time I punch up the "came from" link on my stat counter, to see if anyone but my mother is actually reading this thing. I always marvel at the number of hits whose time spent at this site counts as "zero"--like those elections that the networks were calling with zero votes counted.

But enough of that. My particular puzzle is the number of cases in which the visitors have come here from a Google search for the book Under a Cruel Star by Heda Margolius Kovaly. Now, it is true that I did a review of Under a Cruel Star, back on June 30, 2007 (link). And a very good book it is, and I urge you to take a look at the review. But why are so many people searching for it? And why do they come to me?

My only guess-it is no more than that--is that I am on somebody's course syllabus or "recommended reading" list. Still, why me? And how, exactly, do you get to register as a "visitor," but with time spent as "zero"?

2 comments:

tom brakke said...

Some of us can't even get our mothers to read!

Anonymous said...

Google is the best search engine of the world,it is sending traffic toward your site it is best for you.