Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Gnomes, Raiders?

I see that the Diocese of Bath & Wells has banned garden gnomes from some cemeteries in Somerset as "inappropriate" and perhaps also tacky (link). I suppose I agree with them on tacky, though if tacky is an objection, then what are we going to do with all those crucifixes?

My first thought was--will the ban extend to Oakland Raiders symbols, which I have seen in cemeteries in California? But then it occurred to me we may have a basis here for a viable compromise. Could it be that the diocese will allow a gnome in a cemetery, as long as it is the symbol of a recognized sports team? The Glasgow Gnomes v. the Edinburgh Elves in the midwinter shin-kicking finals, I can hardly wait.

Afterthought: I admit I have had a tough time taking the Diocese of Bath and Wells seriously ever since I first heard this. Granted, some may think it tacky...

No comments: