Sunday, January 11, 2009

Barack and Indonesian

My friend Anupam asks: Does Barack Obama speak Indonesian? My answer has two parts: (a) not a clue; but (b) how could he not? By the record I gather that he went to school in Jakarta from the first through the fourth grade, and there is nothing to suggest that he was isolated in an "American" (or Dutch?) school. There is absolutely no way a kind could survive in a world of kids for four years without learning the local patois. Whether he "remembers" it is a more subtle question. He may not be able to it on the spot; for all I know, he might even think he does not speak Indonesian. But it's back there somewhere.

An intriguing followup question might be: does he speak any other language of Indonesia? From what I read, "everybody" speaks the national language, but that there are plenty of local languages. I haven't any idea what kind of local language (if any) might have been part of the local culture o fhis schooldays, but it seems to me likely that there was at least one.

No comments: