Wednesday, January 21, 2009

This Just In! NYT Reports that George Washington was Black!

And a slave-holding black, to boot:
They embraced a candidate with less experience than Jack Kennedy had in 1960 and elected the first black president since George Washington, a slave-holder, took the oath of office.
That's from David Sanger, The Inheritance: The World Obama Confronts, being hyped this morning on the Amazon Kindle page as "an urgent intelligence briefing." Whether it is worth more than an Obama commemorative plate remains to be seen, but I may not stay to find out.

It does recall, though, the late California Governor Edmund G. ("Pat") Brown, surveying flood damage and declaring, "this is the worst disaster since my election."

[And somehow I am reminded of the lady who said that the happiest moment of her life was "when I woke up and found my husband standing by the bed with his discharge in his hand," but that's another matter altogether.

No comments: