Thursday, January 22, 2009

Young Folks Nowadays: Franklin Delano Who?

This is a few days old but not stale, I think: passing a TV monitor, I could swear I heard a CNN reporter say:
...since the inauguration of Franklin D. Roosevelt in--um. Um. Um. 1937!
Faithful readers of Underbelly will know that this is embarrassingly wrong (and if you don't know the correct date, I'm not going to tell you). One more reminder that the past is a foreign country to the kiddies. And as Mrs. Buce points out, there must be two CNN types in ignorance here: one, the talking head, and the other, the little voice in her earpiece whose job is to keep the talking head looking smart.

Update: A friend points out that the reporter may have been speaking of the first person to be inaugurated on January 20, instead of March 4. Could be, except that destroys the whole point of my story, not so?

No comments: