Monday, February 09, 2009

Lifestyles of the Rich and Strapped

I see that the most emailed story at the NY Times website at the moment is the one about how tough is to live on $500,000 a year. I am as willing as the next guy to enjoy another's suffering but what fascinates me is the stuff about the support staff. I am lucky enough to get to spend a bit of time in New York (and you have my assurance that I am not kicking back 500k); idling way my time, it's always fascinating to wonder how those folks on the subway hold it together.

I suspect the answer is a lot of juggling, a lot of double-income households, and a lot of fiddles: a profitable side-job here, a bit of twilight gravy there. Anyway, I naturally gravitate to the bits about the Nanny at $45k (plus some perks and perhaps a bit of gratuitous nastiness); or even more, the ex-cops who work as muscle drivers for the powerful. Makes me remember Chris Rock's bit about the "wealthy" versus the "rich"--the guy who brings Shaq his paycheck at the end of the game is "wealthy," but Shaq is "rich" (and so, I am sure, is Chris Rock). Reconfirms an ancient principle: one way to make money--not the best, but a way--is to get close to someone with money. Feed the sparrows by feeding the horse.

Geographic Puzzle: The author speaks of "a certain neighborhood west of Third Avenue." Uh, and (I assume) east of Central Park? The Port Authority Bus Station is west of Third Avenue. So, come to think of it, is Palookaville.

Afterthought: Wonder how much they budget for charity, oh yuk yuk.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"a certain neighborhood west of Third Avenue."

That would be referring to 59th Street to 96th Street between Fifth Avenue and Lexington Avenue. Well, some would say from Fifth to Park, but why put too fine a point on it?

This comprises several "Upper East Side" neighborhoods (but not all) in zip codes 10021, 10028 and 10128. Selling Louis Vuiton Luggage and Rolex watches? That's where to mail your catalog.

Or you can just address it to Recipient, care of the Park Avenue Peasants and Workers Republic. The mail man will know where to deliver it.

I've lived in the neighborhood — people suspect (rightfully) that it's either by mistake or on a scholarship — since 1979. I really have trouble feeling sorry for those half million bucks a year babies in the elevator

You're hurting? Instead of a personal trainer and a gym membership, run or bike around Central Park. It's only two blocks away and it's free.

You're still hurting? Dump either summer camp or the house in the Hamptons.

You can't afford charity balls? Don't go. I guarantee you, you'll live

In other words, up against the wall, bonus sucker!

Crankily yours,
The New York Crank