Thursday, April 16, 2009

Bliss Was it in that Dawn to Be Alive..

Stacy Finz has a genial nostalgia piece up at SFGate on how much she loved, loved, loved, working for a newspaper, including this:
For me, it started in college. I somehow stumbled onto the campus newspaper and found myself. It was the one place where my seemingly negative traits - a disregard for all things authoritarian and an insatiable inquisitiveness that others considered coarse and nosey - were seen as assets. I started skipping class just so I could hang out in the newsroom and pitch in on whatever big story was breaking. One of my professors asked, "Where have you been, Ms. Finz? You're failing my class." I considered lying: "My apartment burned to the ground and I've been living on the street."

Instead, I told her the truth.

She wrapped me in her arms and said, "Good for you. Some people go a lifetime and never find what makes them truly happy." She gave me a "C."
I can relate, but fortunately for me I didn't get the C; in fact I washed out altogether so I could start over again later when I was willing to pay attention.

H/T: Michael, whom I met when he joined the copy desk at The Louisville Times.

Afterthought: both my formative college (Antioch) and my formative newspaper (the Times) are now defunct. Is somebody trying to tell me something?

Clarification: Yes, I am reading this on my laptop. For free (on free Wi-Fi in an airport, for whatever that may be worth). Anyway--so yes, I am one of the reasons Ms. Finz is taking the buyout.

No comments: