Tuesday, June 23, 2009

On the Trail of the Governor

As usual I speak unencumbered by knowledge but I suspect this whole Mark Sanford hike-the-Appalachian trail business might be a bit more anodyne than it is made out to be. I mean, there are people who freak out this way every so often and the only person who, as a member of Congress, was nutty enough to stand foresquare with Ron Paul might just be one of them. For comparison, as I recall the father of Paul Laxalt--Senator Paul Laxalt, Ronald Reagan's buddy from Nevada--the father had been, literally, a shepherd, and every so often would freak out and go back to his sepherdic roots (I waive all obligatory sheep jokes).

Of course, this is no excuse for ducking his responsibilities--he could have left a note on the door, frevvins sakes--or to leaving his weapons unattented. But might be that "hiking the Appalachian trail" in this case really does mean "hiking the Appalachian trial."

Watch For It: I will post an abject apology in this space once I learn that his disappearance really was as sinister as the worst suspicions.

...and here it is! Well, so much for my theory.

No comments: