Thursday, June 25, 2009

Let's Get Biblical, Baby

A commentator at DeLong asks,

Would anyone but a Republican politician quote 1 Corinthians in an email to his Argentinian mistress?

Well, maybe so. Example, perhaps James Mason. He uses St. Paul for his boffo finale in Odd Man Out, possibly the best movie Carrol Reed ever made. Paul was, after all, a well-schooled rhetorician and even if he doesn't always make a lot of sense, the structure and the rhythm could have stirred the blood (oth Mason and Sanford would have been better off with the King James Version, though). Still, I've always found I get better results with this:
O my dove, that art in the clefts of the rock, in the secret places of the stairs, let me see thy countenance, let me hear thy voice; for sweet is thy voice, and thy countenance is comely.

--Song of Songs 2:14.
Update: Ignota advises me that the St. Paul riff figured in the Obama inaugural and the Princess Di Funeral, but I'm not able (on a quick search) to pin either one down.

No comments: