Tuesday, October 06, 2009

I Would Have Said "Since McKinley Was Shot"

My cousin Dave is 84, and shows signs of going cranky:
I just returned from a short visit to Victoria BC A one word description of Victoria might be "Civilized" Visiting was like stepping into a time warp

Here is a partial list of things I didn't see or hear at all, or in diminished amounts:

Beggars. Louts. Oafs. Graffiti. Obesity. Dirty streets.

Dirty public toilets Butt cracks. Women with big hair.

Trucks with lifts. Loud car radios. Loud obscene language. Smog. Bumper stickers. Sirens. We even saw some teen aged boys skate boarding and guess what: They were respectable kids!!!

My mind drifted back in the mists of time Where had I seen such a society before?

Gradually, the answer came to me The USA circa 1960's

The experience reminded me of a long held conviction: USA started a long cultural decline that day after Jack Kennedy was shot and we've never completely recovered our moral society.
Trucks with lifts?

No comments: