Saturday, October 17, 2009

Liveblogging Napoleon's Russian Invasion (Not)

I seem to have abandoned my Liveblog of Napoleon's Moscow campaign, and just at the time of crisis, as Napoleon sees his victory disappear in flames. I hadn't intended this; I had thought I would follow him all the way. Maybe I got distracted by all my foreign travels, or maybe it is just that this is the point where it stops being fun: from now on, it is just a long slog of suffering and disarray (except for the Great Man himself, of course, who succeeds in weaseling out of all the harm he has created, to make a nuisance of himself for another two and a half years). The first part was rather more like a Sophoclean tragedy where the audience knows how it will all end (even though the characters do not) but you can't take your eyes off the stage for all of it.

No comments: