Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Sweet Jesus! (The Sarah Chronicles)

I popped in on Amazon a few moments ago to see if the Sarah wars are still going strong in the book review trenches. Sure enough, we are showin' 147 five-star, 130 one-stars, and 29 two- three- and four-stars altogether.

But wait a minute, folks. Take a look at "the most helpful review," with 4,485 (of 5,581) favorable votes. That's enough to polish the vanity of any of those ink-stained wretches in the Amazon free labor brigade--especially, as seems pretty clearly the case, it's a parody, or perhaps I should say a mockery, the work of our old friend General J. C. Christian, proprietor of Jesus' General weblog, "an 11 on the manly scale of absolute gender." I will concede that the General's wit can appear a bit scattershot at times, sort of like Hunter Thompson on acid (joke). But the other day, I was wondering if anybody actually read the book. Today, I'm wondering if they read the reviews.

Update: Mrs. Buce says I'm being a chump (again?). She says those 4,485 favorables are (unlike me?) all in on the joke--that they are just extending the mockery. Hey, I thought of that. But I doubt 4,485 mockers could pull the levers for five-star even if they knew they were only joking. Next thing you know, somebody like me might take them seriously (follow that?).

No comments: