Wednesday, November 04, 2009

You Didn't Read it in Archie Comics

My 84-year-old cousin Dave is waxing nostalgic for high school:
As a high school student I remember a boy, an athlete, with a name from central casting: Soc Babotas. I didn't know him but I so admired that name. I envisioned book titles. Soc Babotas and his Electric Canoe. Soc Babotas in Yellowknife. Soc Babotas and his adventure with Anacondas. All these dreams must have been when I was freshman. By senior year I surely was thinking, Soc Babotas Gets Laid.
Elecric canoe?

Update: John thinks the electric canoe may come from the Tom Swift novels. A plausible guess, but it's not on the Wiki list, although we do get runabout, rifle and locomotive. And here's this:
The name "taser" was originally "TSER", for "Tom Swift Electric Rifle". The invention was named after the central device in Tom Swift and His Electric Rifle (1911),
Link.

Update to Update: Oh, wait, it's this guy.

1 comment:

elrojo said...

arent there electric trolling outboard motors that you could hook up to a plank fastened to a canoe's stern, connect the appropriate battery to it, and you'd have am electric canoe.