Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Alfa-Betty Olsen Makes a Dog's Breakfast Tasty Meal...

...out of stuff she gets at Ikea (link). The Wichita bureau, with strong midwestern/Scandinavian roots, chimes in:
[For the holidays] we made Swedish meatballs (onion, pork and beef), lefse (bought at the store and like eating a paper napkin with butter), Jell-O (of course - that's salad in Minnesota), Swedish potato sausage (even the Greek won't eat it), Norwegian rice pudding, mashed potatoes made from real live potatoes, and corn. Corn has become a Swedish vegetable. At least in Minnesota. I'm sure my grandparents would have recognized most of those odd combinations of fish and potatoes (I note the absence of lefse - which Sue used to make on occasion when she couldn't find it - the stuff in the store tends to be tough; she has one recipe from an old Lutheran Church that starts with 'peel 100 lbs of potatoes') but the palate got cleaned up by the time that it got to my generation. There is one story about one cousin serving 'sil salad' - basically herring salad - as a main course and most of my mother's generation going on strike.

And as a kid, I endured the annual lutefisk dinner at church - where they served meatballs to the heathen of my generation - but it involved great quantities of drawn butter, lutefisk, meatballs, multiple courses of Jell-O in all colors imaginable (and with all sorts of canned fruit).
Actually, my own mother and I used to make Swedish pork (=bread) sausage together--one of the few things we did with complete amiability. But we drew the line at head cheese.

No comments: