Friday, March 26, 2010

And Don't Steal Them, Either

The sign at St. Mark's bookstore in the East Village warns us not to copy from books, and not to photograph them. Actually, I guess I have done that--photographed the cover so I would know what to order later on Amazon. I suppose I could have photoed text also, and then OCR'ed it right into my dissertation, if I had a dissertation.

Come to think of it, I guess there is a kernel of a business plan here. Maybe it is what Brnes & Noble is trying to do, making it easy for you to read your Nook books in the store. Kind of like an Apple store, where they don't really care whether they turn a profit if they let you feel and touch so you make an online purchase?

2 comments:

Dr. Charles Forbin said...

photographed the cover so I would know what to order later on Amazon.

I consider that immoral.

What are you going to do when the independent bookstores no longer exist and amazon is the only game in town?

Buce said...

Exactly.