Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Boxer/Hatch = 13.4323723

The whole schoolyard seems to be piling onto Orrin Hatch this morning for his crabby op-ed arguing that "reconciliation" is "would be an assault to the democratic process." See e.g., link, link. Which is fine with me, and I have only to add that I haven't noticed anybody so far bringing up the most undemocratic aspect of all--the Senate itself, where a guy like Orrin Hatch (Utah pop.2,736,424) gets the same voice as Barbara Boxer (California pop. 36,756,666). One Orrin Hatch = 13.4323723 Barbara Boxers? I'm thinking, I'm thinking.

Afterthought: You know, I don't have time to do the numbers, but I bet if you calibrated the (41?) filibuster votes against the 59 opposed, you'd find that the 41 represent a hell of a lot less than 41 percent of the population, and the 69, correspondingly more than 59.

[For starters; the 59 include California, New York, Illinois and Pennsylvania; the 41, Alaska and Wyoming. And, yes, Utah (sorry, I forgot that Alaska has one Democrat)]

1 comment:

Rb said...

"When Republicans have been in the majority, the filibustering minority has actually represented the majority of Americans 64 percent of the time. When Democrats have been in the majority, that figure plummets to 3 percent."

http://www.slate.com/id/2244060/