Monday, November 29, 2010

Looks Like He Was Good at Fiction After All

From Romenesko, we learn that John Steinbeck's Travels with Charlie is, well, a work of fiction--at least one that would not pass the Oprah test today.  I can't say I ever gave it a moment's thought before but it is hardly surprising: times change.  But while I am thinking on it, has anybody checked up on Henry David Thoreau lately?  I seem to recall hearing when I was in college that all those nights he was supposed to be out there grappling with nature in the raw, he was actually home having dinner with his mother..

Fn.:  A quick search of my aggregator shows that I and a lot of other people cannot spell "Romenesko:" we put in an "a" for the "e."  But a search under the wrong spelling yields more hits (ignoring the author's own stuff) than the right one does.

No comments: