Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Remembering the Obama Era...

Fun while it lasted, I guess.  They say that every Presidency becomes a prison, and I suspect that for O, it starts today.  Just a couple of takeaways:

  • If (!) the Democrats keep the Senate, the Republicans will have the Tea Party to blame, not so?
  • I hear John Boehner on the radio saying his House will not engage in government by inquisition (my phrase, not his).  But I doubt that the gift is his to give.  The House will be heavy on unruly amateurs (isn't it always?) who don't think they owe him very much.
  • TPM points out that the Blue Dog coalition is pretty much cut in half.   One corollary, I suspect, is that the policy shift in the House may not be quite as dramatic as it seems: replace a Blue Dog with a Republican and you may get the same votes, only noisier and more confrontational.
Ah well, an election cycle is a long time in politics.  And wasn't it H.L. Mencken who said that  "Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard"--? 

No comments: