Monday, November 15, 2010

So That was It (Shabbas Goy Dept.)

I spent the summer of my 19th year as a shabbas goy; in between time, I bused tables and did general kitchen work.  It was a good job: the work was hard but the food was good, the music was wonderful and the tips were--better than I was used to.  But nobody ever told me the real point:
The sole purpose of non-Jews is to serve Jews, according to Rabbi Ovadia Yosef, the head of Shas’s Council of Torah Sages and a senior Sephardi adjudicator.


“Goyim were born only to serve us. Without that, they have no place in the world – only to serve the People of Israel,” he said in his weekly Saturday night sermon on the laws regarding the actions non-Jews are permitted to perform on Shabbat.
Link.  Thanks to the Wichita Bureau who reports that he may have performed this particular cat back a bit.

1 comment:

Ebenezer Scrooge said...

I can't believe that Ovadia Yosef thought that the purpose of the goyim was to serve the People of Israel. Anybody who follows Shas (the political party of whom Yosef is the spiritual mentor) knows that the purpose of Israelis is to support ultra-Orthodox Jews.