Thursday, January 13, 2011

Grab it While you Can

My newsreader brings me an ad for a book called Invention Analysis and Claiming; A Patent Lawyer's Guide.  The blurb says it offers me "a comprehensive approach to analyzing inventions and capturing them in a sophisticated set of patent claims."

I suppose I'm just carping here but I don't see anything in this blurb about actually inventing the stuff.  I haven't read the book, but I wonder: is there anything there about inventors, or is this simply a book for the Bill Gateses and Guglielmo Marconis  of the world, whose real skill seems to come in the deploying--and profiting from--the creativity of others?  Analyzing and capturing indeed.  Sophisticated set of claims, oh dear.

1 comment:

Ebenezer Scrooge said...

I did patent law for a short amount of time. Technologists create technologies. Patent lawyers create inventions out of these technologies. An invention is a legal construct, (hopefully) reflecting some technological reality.