Monday, February 28, 2011

Like I Said...

M. C. Beaton is the author of more than 100 romance novels.  An intereviewer  remarked "So searching for a husband is not part of your real life. Beaton replied:
Fortunately not. God, I would hate to go back to that. I once did a programme for the BBC on dating in middle age. I was 57 at the time and I felt quite young. And I found that women, the reason they wanted to marry was to have someone to change the light bulbs. They didn’t like going into pubs and restaurants by themselves. They just desperately needed a man around – not particularly for sex or romance, but to do things in the garden. And they had sort of teed off at the Hammersmith Palais and I sat in the front row as they were setting up the cameras, and all these creaky old men kept advancing on me for a dance. I felt quite terrified.
Like I say, we're surplus.

No comments: