Thursday, March 10, 2011

Am I the Last Guy in the World to Know This?

Charlie Sheen was born an Estevez, as was his father Martin.   That much I knew.  What I didn't know: it was Martin who chose the name Sheen after the TV figure he so much admired, Bishop Fulton J. Sheen.

I certainly do remember the Bishop. On our high school class trip, we went to New York City. A plurality of my class mates voted that we attend a live shooting of the Sheen show. I snuck away to peek in at the city room of the New York Times (in those days, apparently no security guards.)

But my cousin Dave adds something about the Bishop I did not know: Dave recalls the other great TV personality of that generation, Milton Berle, known to friend and foe alike as Uncle Miltie. Dave points out that the Bishop became known as Uncle Fultie. For those who need further education on the topic: 


No comments: