Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Must be all the Salt Fish

I'm having a glorious time with Asgeir Jonsson's Why Iceland? which  I picked up because I wanted to learn how a country smaller than Anaheim could immure itself in a world-class banking mess. I am learning a bit about Icelandic banking, but my inquiries have also disclosed:
  • The poster bad boy of the Icelandic meltdown (yuk yuk) is one Björgólfur Thor Björgólfsson, mercifully called "Thor." His mother is the niece of the once-Bishop of Iceland, and the former wife of the late George Lincoln Rockwell, America's most famous avowed Nazi.
  • The prime minister of Iceland is the first (and only?) leader of any nation in a same sex marriage.  
  • Okay, so you knew all that. But did you know about this (H/T to my cousin Dave, an 86-year-old boaster).
More about bank failure later.  

1 comment:

The New York Crank said...

Regarding your last bullet point. He can donate his if he wants. I'm taking mine along with me on the final trip, just in case I'm wrong about this afterlife business.

Yours Crankily,
The New York Crank