Thursday, June 02, 2011

The Price of Freedom is Eternal Vigilance

I once got a ticket for parking the wrong way, this on a one-block street in front of my own house.  I left the car there at night, found the ticket when I came out in the morning.  That was 41 years ago but it's not like i remember anything.  This was down in Davis, California, where I have always figured being a cop must actually be a pretty boring job.   There are 32,000 students at UC Davis but the campus has its own police force and anyway, the kiddies are on the whole a bunch of high achievers who spend more time on obsessing about the life cycle of the sheep liver fluke than they do making trouble for cops.


So I just took it as evidence of a cop with too much time on his hands.  Tyler Cowen offers a somewhat more nuanced analysis.

No comments: